Saturday, September 24, 2011

Bluebird Singin' in the Dead of Night...



Anyone know anything about gallbladders? Anyone? Bueller? That's okay, me neither. Until I learned today is Gallbladder Good Health Day! So I looked up some things about gallbladders that I'm sure you'd love to hear. For starters women are 3-4 times more likely to suffer gallbladder attacks than men. Ouch. What's a gallbladder look like anyways? Thanks for asking, anonymous blog reader who's suddenly very interested in gallbladders. It's about 4-5 inches big and they look like baby eggplants. Or so I'm told. It's located just under the ribcage and liver. The gallbladder is part of the digestive system and it also helps to keep your liver healthy. I'm told apples are particularly good, whereas fatty (fried or greasy) foods are bad for it.
Two of my apartment-mates have actually had their gallbladders removed, even though it's pretty rare for people under 40. To celebrate, I'm making them fried oreos... o:) Treat your gallbladder well today by enjoying a nice apple, or put it to good use by eating something fried.


C'mon, get happy! It's National Bluebird of Happiness Day. I'd never heard this before, but apparently different cultures across the whole world for thousands of years have all held similar beliefs and myths about the bluebird- all positive. Blue birds are pretty much universally believed to be a sign of happiness, cheerfulness, good health, good luck and prosperity. Some indigenous groups even hold it as a sacred animal.




Ever thought to yourself  "I just want to go kill an unsuspecting animal for sport in order to fully appreciate the beauty of the great outdoors" ? Well, today's your lucky day. It's National Hunting and Fishing Day. In 1972 Nixon signed the first proclamation of National Hunting and Fishing Day, and it's been celebrated the fourth Saturday of every September ever since. The idea is to enjoy outdoor sports and recreation as well as promote a respect for conservation. I must admit I won't be celebrating this day by hunting (though I do support conservation of nature), but I did have a dream last night I went fishing and caught a halibut. Does that count?




And! For. All... You, English; lovers? Out: "There"
National Punctuation Day! Which, according to the National Punctuation Day official website is "A celebration of the lowly comma, correctly used quotation marks, and other proper uses of periods, semi-colons, and the ever-mysterious ellipsis." I'm so scared I've used improper punctuation somewhere in this post...





If you'd like to celebrate you can enter the punctuation contest. Submit your entry here. Here's a list of official rules and guidelines:
Write one paragraph, maximum of three sentences, using these 13 punctuation marks: apostrophe, brackets, colon, comma, dash, ellipsis, exclamation point, hyphen, parentheses, period, question mark, quotation mark, and semicolon. You may use a punctuation mark more than once.
Entries accept through September 30th, best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment