Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Get Puuuuunched!

National Punch Day, everyone! Waking up this morning I was still uncertain as to whether or not I would be enjoying a tall glass of awesomeness, or causing those near me physical pain. Upon further research I discovered it would be the former. Phew! That's a relief, seeing as how tomorrow is International Peace Day and all.

Yes, punch. The big bowl of reddish liquid with little floating bits of melted sherbet that you tried (unsuccessfully) to spike at your junior prom. When we think punch we most often think fruit punch (which, by the way, was my lip gloss of choice today) but that's pretty much just the American version. Punch was originally a drink in India and was popularized in the west when sailors from the British East India Company brought it back with them in the early 1600s, and it spread to the rest of Europe from there. It was made with a few staple ingredients; water or tea base, sugar, lemon, spices and, yes you guessed it, spirits. In England it most commonly wine or brandy, until the mid-1600s when Jamaican rum hit the scene which is what alcoholic punch is typically made with now.

The most common types of punch are bourbon punch (a southern thang), cups (the proper British) and rum punches.  And then there's the good ol' classic fruit punch. I'd take a hawaiian punch any day. In Mexico they call they're punch "agua loca" or "crazy water". I remember (or don't remember, rather) it being the biggest mistake of my couple weeks there. Again, I'll just stick with hawaiian punch from now on.

So saddle up and enjoy a glass. Protip for my proud punchin' pals: plan ahead and freeze little bits of fruit in your ice tray, like I did with these oranges. Chuck 'em in your glass and go. Don't forget to enjoy with a sweet loopy straw :)























Also, according to the National Education Center for Agricultural Safety, today is National Farm Safety Day. Did you know farming is considered one of the more dangerous occupations and farmers are at a higher risk than average for both fatal and non-fatal injuries? On average about 2 farmers die a day in work related injuries, everyday 500 farmers suffer injuries that force them to lose time on the job (25 of which are permanent injuries). Holy cow! (pun intended)

One last thing. I was blogging while on the phone and got busted so now as punishment I have to mention Jerrod and how awesome he is. I love him, love him, love  him.

You guys enjoy your day. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment